   RE: [xml-dev] Excellent Insight on Standards Development vs Invention

> I think I first need to know your measure of "success".

True; context is important.  I think it is fair to restrict to apps
which directly produce/consume XML and for which this is a critical
implementation detail.  And then when I say "success", I measure in
terms of end-users who use the app on a daily basis; in terms of total
number and in terms of breadth.

If you took a random sample of 10,000 people, how many would use an app
that relies on RSS on a daily basis?  Then how many of them would use
any other app that is actually consuming or producing XML?  (And I don't
think MS Word qualifies; although it *can* produce XML, I still think
people use that functionality a lot less in aggregate than RSS).