   Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema assistance

Ray,

If you have a lot of interdependencies and contextual rules - you may want to look at augmenting your simple schema with a real rules validation engine that uses XPath expressions.

See http://www.jcam.org.uk

DW
===============================
Ray Cauchi wrote:
Hi folks

I have defined a W3C XML Schema that allows markup of Policy documents. (BTW - I am new at schema design!)

A valid xml structure follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<policy xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="myschema.xsd">
        <section>
                <title>Section 1 Title</title>
                <clause>string text</clause>
        </section>
        <section>
                <title>Section 2 Title</title>
                <clause>string text</clause>
                <clause>more text</clause>
        </section>
        <section>
                <title>Section 3 Title</title>
        </section>
</
policy>

No problem, the schema works fine as far as I have so far tested.

Similarly, the second section will also have a specific title - that being <title>Section 2: Document Glossary</title>

All other <title>'s used in a document will be required (where they exist), but their content will not be fixed.

I have made <title></title> a global element. How can i now instantiate it twice, with specific content, once for each section?? I am using the XML Spy schema GUI tool, and each time I try to provide a fixed value, that value becomes global...and thus applies to all <title> tags in the document. I am using the <title> element in the following elements - hence its global definition :

<section>
<part>
<hmajor> (major heading)
<hminor> (minor heading)

Do I need to create a <s1title> and <s2title> separate to my original <title> element, or is there a more clever way of approaching this issue? I am thinking there is but I am a tad stumped! Any assistance would be hugely appreciated.

Best Regards

Ray Cauchi
Manager/Lead Developer

( T W E E K ! )