   RE: [xml-dev] Hostility to "binary XML" (was Re: [xml-dev] XML 20 04 web

It is becoming a value proposition with a scaling effect.
We tend to fear changing XML because it touches so much
of the infrastructure, yet one can turn that on its head
and say that improvements here could pay back handsomely
for the same reason.

Tim Bray made an excellent point in his closing keynote
when he compared it to AWT and Swing:  if the tech needs
improving, just do it.  Have the fortitude to step up to
the task.

That's not aimed at any person here, past of present. I
just am not persuaded that the SGML connections are buying
us a lot that we need, and the compatibility issues do
seem to stand in the way of easier progress.

Sorry you weren't there, Liam. It was a rather good
party for geeksLikeUs.  I hope to do it again.

No one ever looks like their mail.  Thank goodness...

len