   licensing ... [Re: binary XML API and scientific use cases [Re: [xml-dev

Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> The XOM/bnux work is very interesting for several reasons.
>
> Aleksander Slominski wrote:
>

>> Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:
>>
>>> This is to announce the nux-1.0beta2 release (http://dsd.lbl.gov/nux/).
>>>
>>> Nux is a small, straightforward, and surprisingly effective
>>> open-source extension of the  XOM XML library.
>>>
>> hi Wolfgang,
>>
>> the natural question is: how does it compare to XBIS?
>>
>> can it be divorced from XOM?
>>
>> in particular LGPL and Apache/BSD are not compatible (it seems nux is
>> under BSD and XOM under LGPL ...).
>

> I don't see why you make this statement.  Something that is LGPL'd can
> be used as a subsystem of any other kind of system, including
> commercial or BSD licensed software.

not in java. there were very long discussions in apache about dynamic
linking of LGPL JARs and as XOM has no non-LGPL API then it is not
possible to compile or run nux without XOM right?

anyway i never could really follow why LGPL for C style-linking is OK
but LGPL for JARs is not so if you have a definitive FSF resource on
that i would like to know it.

> BSD licensed software can generally be used in any circumstance,
> including commercial integration, with very little requirements,
> mainly consisting of notice and not suing the author.

yes under condition that all software is BSD. if you mix GPL with
software under any other license then all must be GPL. LGPL is kind of
in gray area ...

thanks,

alek