   Re: [xml-dev] Canonicalizer that uses XML Schemas (rather than DTDs)?

Roger L. Costello wrote:

> Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>

>>>Why would it matter that a canonicalizer tool utilize an
>>>XML Schema rather than a DTD?  Where would it make a difference?
>

> Is it not time to update the XML canonicalization specification?  When
> everyone was using DTDs then canonicalization of just {XML, DTD} pairs made
> sense.  But now that many people are using XML Schemas it seems to me that
> canonicalization needs to be upgraded to support {XML, XML-Schema} pairs.

I fail to see the benefit of that. Stability is more important here. It
is supposed to be a "canonical" form, after all; not the flavor of the
month.

> Better yet, the canonicalization specification should be upgraded to handle
> all 5 Validation Languages:
>
> 1. DTD
> 2. XML Schemas
> 3. RelaxNG
> 4. Schematron
> 5. OASIS CAM

I don't know what OASIS CAM is, but neither Schematron nor RELAX NG
augments the Infoset in any way. Therefore they have no effect on
canonicalization. This is a relative advantage for these two languages.