   Re: [xml-dev] Why are XML crowds older?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Demsak" <donxml@gmail.com>
To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2004 10:10 AM
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Why are XML crowds older?

> Age is a relative thing.  Older typically means older than you (and
> the same thing with younger).
>
> Now, do I see kids right out of college going to XML events, no, but I
> also don't see many of them at the other events either (unless it is
> free and they are unemployed and trying to get leads on a job).
>
> I also don't see a lot of the 20 something crowd working as IT
> consultants, and probably for the same reason why they aren't at
> events, it takes a seasoned veteran to learn to take advantage of
> opportunities (sort of what Len said).
>
> At 37, I probably fall into the middle, not the 40+ crowd (at least
> not for 3 more years) and not the 20-30 crowd (see I just did it, I
> made the term "older" to mean people older than me. LOL)

I am 20, if that is at all relevant. I will be 21 in slightly over 1 month.

I remember when I first encountered the relational model, I was quite
motivated by it for a while. eventually I realized that the relational model
had limitations, and is not very general. I seems quite good for a few
tasks, but doesn't seem to have much general scope.

xml I guess has a much larger general scope.
but then again, xml is syntax...

or such.