   Re: [xml-dev] Seeking SAXException pattern

>> So, suppose I'm in this callback and something horrible happens; for
>> example I discover that the content that I'm looking at here is
>> completely bogus.  I can't throw an Exception of any kind without
>> screwing up the signature.  So I have this pattern all over my code.

You could also throw a RuntimeException instead of a checked exception,
if you don't want to wrap your exceptions or subclass SAXException; but
most people do just wrap their exceptions and unwrap and rethrow them in
a catch(SAXException) block around the parse.

I think this sort of ugliness is pretty much inherent in a callback API,
especially in Java.

This is actually a very minor nit in working with SAX. You will likely
soon the much bigger issues of whether or not the ErrorHandler is
invoked for user-defined exceptions, and whether endDocument is or is
not called for which exceptions. None of this is sufficiently
standardized. All of it varies from one parser to the next. Assume nothing.