   RE: [xml-dev] Relax NG, Thoughts, etc.

> But the following technologies have been created to only utilize one of them
> (XML Schemas):

Well, it kinda makes sense that W3C working groups would favor a W3C
schema language.  One of the things each WG does is make sure it has
reaction and feedback from others in the w3c.  I don't think there's
anything sinister about it, just limited time and resources.

> a. XSLT
> b. XPath

You must be talking about the 2.0 versions, right?  Since the current
standard XSLT and XPath are schema-ignorant.

> c. XQuery

Do any of those other schemas have a type system?  I thought the only
place XQuery cared about schema was datatypes.

> d. SOAP

I don't see this at all.  Yes, SOAP 1.1 had SOAP RPC, which involved a
twisted use of Schema; at the time it was written there was only XSD, and
even then it was a draft.  In SOAP 1.2, the RPC encoding is completely
removed from the core, and not even specified.  SOAP 1.2 is based on the
Infoset, explicfitly *not* the XSD post-schema validation Infoset.  So how
is SOAP tied to XSD?

> e. WSDL

WSDL 1 was pretty tied to XSD.  WSDL 2 tries very *very* hard to be
schema-neutral.  It doesn't seem consistent to complain about the 2.0
versions for a,b,c but ignore 2.0 for e. :)  (For what it's worth, I think
WSDL 2 went the wrong way in doing this, as I wrote about for xml.com)

> The W3C seems to be sending a clear message, "if you're not XML Schemas then
> you're not invited to the party".  /Roger

I think that's both petty and unfair.
	/r$
XML Security Overview      http://www.datapower.com/xmldev/xmlsecurity.html