   RE: [xml-dev] Relax NG, Thoughts, etc.

ASN.1 is another schema language, and is a multipart international standard jointly published by ISO/IEC and ITU-T (ISO/IEC 8824-* and ISO/IEC 8825-*), and downloadable for free from the ITU-T website (see link below).

It supports XML documents as well as binary encodings of its type definitions, with the ability to round trip between the different forms of encoding.

A standardized translation of schemas from XSD to ASN.1 is available (ISO/IEC 8825-5 aka X.694).

In addition, the ASN.1 standards group has begun work on specifying a reverse translation from ASN.1 to XSD.  This should enable translating an XSD schema to ASN.1 and then back to XSD, as well as translating an ASN.1 schema to XSD and then back to ASN.1, recovering essentially the initial schema, whichever the initial language is.

See also:
http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/en/xml/
http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/en/tools/xsdasn1/
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com17/languages/index.html