   Re: [xml-dev] Web Services/SOA (was RE: [xml-dev] XML 2004 weblog it

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Web Services/SOA (was RE: [xml-dev] XML 2004 weblog it
  • From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:06:00 -0500

Dare Obasanjo scripsit:

> At the high level, RPC is about invoking remote methods on objects. So
> far I haven't seen an SOA technology implemented in an object oriented
> programming language that doesn't eventually result in invoking methods
> on remote objects.

There is a substantial difference between "invoking remote methods on
objects" and "invoking methods on remote objects".  RPC, as you say,
is about the former.  When I send a document to a remote server, I
neither know nor care about the objects that may or may not exist
on that remote server, or what methods are executed on them; I care
only that the documented behavior (which may involve sending a document
to me or someone else) takes place.

(Apologies if this posting appears more than once.)

--
John Cowan  cowan@ccil.org  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
Original line from The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold: