   Re: [xml-dev] Web Services/SOA (was RE: [xml-dev] XML 2004 weblog items?

> Are services responses to events?
>
> That is likely at least one level higher
> in the organizational architecture if call
> and response is the lowest level of description,
> but if we are to speak of a 'services oriented
> architecture' that is meaningful beyond the
> most primitive descriptions, it can be useful
> to think in terms of event types over
> messages.  Otherwise, a service and a method
> are indistinguishable.

I have a hard time seeing something new and unique in SOA
worthy of inventing a new acronym.

Maybe the difference is in the fact that services
have "coarser granularity", they do more per request,
they are "chunkier". Which may mean that what they
provide is just that much closer to what a non-programmer
is able to describe, that they deserve their own terminology.

Another "gradual" difference from - let's say, distributed
objects - could be that in SOA there is a heightened awareness
of remote interactions being fundamentally different from local
ones - with SOA specializing in the remote type.

Just wondering...

Karl