   RE: [xml-dev] Wikipedia and Topic Maps

>Would a wikipedia be improved if the topic map model were used for creating
it?

I don't know about creating it. I could be coming at Topic Maps from the
wrong angle, but I think of them as more of a middleware technology. If a
set of web pages (whether wikipedia, weblogs, or whatever) had keywords
assigned, as many weblog entries do, those keywords could be used to help
populate a topic map built on top of that information, and then apps could
be built on top of the topic map to offer different ways to navigate among
those pages. Tim Bray's http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/What/ would be a
candidate to start a prototype.

flickr.com and del.icio.us would be even better places to try, because
they're much more expansive. I'm still wondering why the TM folk haven't
done anything with the megs and megs of RecipeML data out there, which seems
like an ideal application for a useful free Topic Map.

I don't think too hard about Topic Maps because with Eric Freese and Sam
Hunting as co-workers, I'm confident that they'll be alert to any
opportunities in the organization. (Also, Terry Brady of LexisNexis did a
cool presentation at Extreme about using Topic Maps in project management.)

Bob