   Re: [xml-dev] Ontolgies, Mappings and Transformations (was RE: WebServic

let me put all of this a different way.

when ted codd invented relational databases everyone thought it was
about getting rid of hierarchical etc databases. and it did that. but
that wasn't the point. and sometimes i think that his greatest advocates
- date and pascal - also miss the point. ted codd was a mathematician.
relational databases are a mathematical group. that's why normalisation
is important. a relational database is tables and operations that
produce tables with all the other requirements of a group. sql has
nothing to do really with relational databases except that it can
manipulate them, but it is a language - not a relational database.
that's why it has been perverted to all sorts of other non relational uses.

xml is like the tables. xslt is probably the closest to the operator bit
needed to make it a group, but as xslt can produce stuff that isn't xml
it fails.

if i was making xml 2, i'd be looking at fixing that basic problem.
here's a storage class (things like numbers etc), and here's the set of
operators that produce more "things" (valid xml documents) and make sure
they are a group(s) (identity operators etc).

then something like xslt or whatever can be a manipulative language
based on the maths of the xml model.

so here's a real challenge - what are the operators - eg + -  * project
join etc (maths 101 groups are defined over operators) for xml?

xslt, ws-* etc (like sql) then become the glue from something that can
be manipulated reliably to other representations/purposes

now i have to look at xl :)

rick

begin:vcard
fn:Rick  Marshall