   Re: [xml-dev] Ontolgies, Mappings and Transformations (was RE: Web Servi

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Ontolgies, Mappings and Transformations (was RE: Web Services/SOA)
  • From: Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 08:52:24 -0500

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:23:38 -0800, Ronald Bourret
<rpbourret@rpbourret.com> wrote:
> Dare Obasanjo wrote:
>
> >  However the Semantic Web
> > related mapping technologies don't allow for the kind of complex and
> > messy mappings that occur in the real world.
>
> Then what's the point? I should have hoped that Semantic Web
> technologies (and ontologies in particular) would have allowed me to say:

Maybe an example would help ... what is a real world  "complex and
messy mapping" for which it would  be far simpler to transform with
code than describe with logic?

I'll guess that dates and addresses are such things .... perhaps there
are all sorts of algorithms for inferring that "today", "December 1,
2004", and "20041201" are equivalent, but describing this in OWL would
be  tedious in the extreme?  Likewise, as I understand it, real world
street addresses generally have to be "cleaned" by algorithms to put
them into some canonical structure before they can be used by ordinary
SQL queries or OWL reasoners.