   RE: [xml-dev] Ontolgies, Mappings and Transformations (was RE: Web Servi

  • To: "Ronald Bourret" <rpbourret@rpbourret.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Ontolgies, Mappings and Transformations (was RE: Web Services/SOA)
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 08:26:39 -0800

I should give a practical example of what I mean. Imagine if RSS 2.0 was an RDF vocabulary and you wanted to map it to RSS 1.0. In RSS 2.0 the pubDate value is an RFC 822 formatted date while in RSS 1.0 the dc:date field usually used to indicate dates is in the ISO 8601 format. Semantic Web technologies generally allow me to say <pubDate> is logically equivalent to <dc:date> but an application needs more than that. If it can only consume ISO 8601 dates (e.g. if it is a .NET Framework application using the System.DateTime class) then simply saying 'treat <pubDate> like <dc:date>" is not enough. You will need to write some real code to do this transformation.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
There is nothing more satisfying that having someone take a shot at you, and miss.