   Re: [xml-dev] XML-aware programming language?

On Dec 2, 2004, at 9:06 AM, Jonathan Robie wrote:

> Dare Obasanjo wrote:
>> Exactly, that's why as a programmer I'd rather stick with the
>> language I'm doing most of the application development with anyway
>> (i.e. C#, Javascript, etc) as opposed to dealing with the [familiar]
>> complexity of that language plus all the idiosyncracies of XQuery &
>> XML Schema as well.
>
> Hi Dare,
>
> For the examples I've compared, I wind up writing about 4 times as
> much code using that approach, and it definitely takes more time to
> write and maintain that code.
>
> But you're right - there is a paradigm shift in learning to think in
> XQuery and native XML. Not everyone will make that paradigm shift.
>
> And programmers don't always use the most efficient tool for a job. I
> once wrote a multiprocessing monitor in Minnesota Fortran...
>
> Jonathan

One of ideas behind Nux is to enable folks to approach XML problems in
a mixed (real-life) environment, yet in a seamless manner. They can
easily mix and match whatever tool is the easiest/most
maintainable/fastest/[your favourite property goes here], whether it be
XQuery, XSLT, Java-level XOM tree manipulations, validation with
various schema languages, standard textual XML, binary XML, etc.

In reality, sometimes folks use A, sometimes A in combination with B,
and sometimes all of them together, for various subproblems within the
overall application. To summarize, there seems more value in
integrating tools with different strengths and weaknesses than in
separating them.

Wolfgang.