   Re: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?

Michael Champion wrote:

> XSLT will presumably continue to do well for
> situations in which you are working within a single hierarchy, but
> XQuery may open up new possibilities that were difficult to treat with
> XML when there is not a single hierarchy.

<xsl:variable
   name="other-tree"
   select="document('other-tree.xml')/*"/>

<xsl:apply-templates select="$other-tree"/>

makes it pretty simple to work on other hierarchies. Right? Maybe not,
because switching context nodes confuses some users, but once it is
understood it is not that bad.

Now you might be saying that is limited to what is in the file, but it
is not so. You can use a custom URIResolver (java) to catch the href and
  return whatever you need. (among other things I return lucene search
results this way).

best,
-Rob