   Re: [xml-dev] XML-aware programming language?

Michael Kay wrote:

>>This preserves the semantics according to [REC-xml-names] --
>>it's the namespace URI that's important, not the prefix --
>>and preserves *most* of the Infoset semantics.  ...
>>
>>This last might be problematic ...
>>

>If we didn't have prefixes-in-content then we wouldn't have a problem. If we
>only had to preserve *most* of the semantics then we wouldn't have a
>problem.
>
>Putting aside wishful thinking about what might have been, does anyone have
>a solution that works in the real world?

I found Joe's pledge for sanity very helpful. For prefixes in content,
it can be enough to save a document-wide mapping from prefixes to
namespaces. Of course this does not allow redeclarations etc, and
rightly so, I find.

The annoying exceptions can very clearly be marked by any implementation
as not supported, and it is quite easy to turn an unsupported XML
document into a supported one (changing, moving prefixes).

People *are* indeed always using the same prefixes (xsl, xsd, xsi...)
and declaring them in the root...

regards,

Burak Emir

http://lamp.epfl.ch/~buraq