   Re: [xml-dev] XML-aware programming language?

Michael Kay wrote:

>>People *are* indeed always using the same prefixes (xsl, xsd, xsi...)
>>and declaring them in the root...
>>

>99% of people may be doing so, but it's wishful thinking to imagine that we
>can write off the rest. Tiny incompatibilities can cause users vast costs.

I don't like to get philosophical, but what is more responsible:

help the 1% by letting the cause persist and curing effect of the
ill-defined spec, or
helping the 99% which includes the tool writers, by fixing the cause.

Not normalizing namespaces is already causing vast costs. The whole
impact of having XML is reduced. People are deciding against it.

Plus, every tool can give descriptive warnings which alleviate the cost
of the 1%.

There is your proposal on the table that allow expanded names
{iri}:localname everywhere where prefix:localname is allowed in content.
IMHO sanitiy requires that this thing MUST eventually be accepted, and
people abandon the idea that prefixes mean anything. better sooner than
later.

regards,
Burak

--