   Re: [xml-dev] RE: Incremental transformations with Xalan and performance

> despite the limitation that the source document has to fit in memory!
> But nevertheless, the architecture looks very solid, and
> congratulations to BEA for publishing it, unlike vendors of
> "high-performance" XSLT engines who make marketing claims but give us
> no technical information to enable an informed assessment or
> comparison.
>
> Michael Kay
> http://www.saxonica.com/

Casting a *full blown compliant* XSLT/XQuery engine into hardware seems
difficult at best, near-impossible at worst.

Considering that XSLT/XQuery is orders of magnitude more complex than
simple crypto algorithms, I'm wondering to what extent hardware
addresses compliance, implementation bugs, upgrades, dynamic callback
features, effective programming language integration, etc. Further, how
small is the subset of functionality that actually benefits from
hardware based associative memory addressing, if that is what's used
here? Axis navigation could perhaps benefit, but what else? Similar
question for jitting.

I'm skeptical until proven otherwise. Until the key technical novelties
are explained, quantified precisely and reproducible for anyone, no
fuzzy marketing talk and references to "proprietary patent pending
breakthroughs" can paper over it.

Sorry if that's taking things a little too far in this particular forum.

Wolfgang.