   Re: [xml-dev] Data streams

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 08:19:45 -0500, Stephen E. Beller <sbeller@nhds.com> wrote:

<snip/>

> But since a 150KB CSV file able to store near 17 million data elements, it
> may not be necessary for that extra resource consumption in most situations.

You're _still_ missing a basic grasp of the real issue: your 150KB CSV
test file had almost no information inside of it,  I can encode the
whole thing (more or less) as:

class stupidExample { for ( i = 0; i < 1000000; i++ )
System.out.println( "1" ); }

and if I send it to the appropriate "parser" I'll get the same CSV
file as you started from (more or less).  If we agreed on the format I
could send this as:

1000000:1

and these 9 bytes, would a prior mean, one million instances of the number 1.

Given the appropriate parser you don't need 150KB to send around a lot
of useless data! Please, let's talk about moving real information
around and not some artifical example that is inefficiently encoded as
a 150KB CSV file (or an even larger and equally useless XML file)!

<snip/>

--
Peter Hunsberger