   36 Years Ago Today: Doug Engelbart

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: 36 Years Ago Today: Doug Engelbart
  • From: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 23:06:41 -0500

Today I was reminded that it was 36 years ago today that Doug Engelbart gave his classic 1968 demo in Menlo Park[1]. We watched the film of the demo at a US federal meeting focused on semantic interoperability, and then had the pleasure of listening to Doug Engelbart speak to us via phone about that day and where things lead afterwards (many of us will recall a plenary on this at XML 2003). When we reminded him of the anniversary, he had actually not realized it.

While I was too young that day to be aware of/understand the significance of that event (I was a wee but mischievous 20-month old), I have come to realize its incredible significance in the grand scheme.

Kind Regards,
Joseph Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World