   Re: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?

Tim Bray wrote:

> XQuery will be a success when people start using it in large numbers
> because it solves their problems.  Which could very well happen, but,
> as I said, it's not "obvious".  -Tim

By these criteria, we probably can't even ask this question until the
commercial implementations of XQuery are out and the XQuery 1.0
Reccomendation is finished. We should judge market adoption by ...
market adoption.

Wait two years and crank out your spreadsheets.

In this sense, it wasn't obvious that XML, Java, SQL, or most other new
technologies would succeed until after they were adopted. But sometimes
it's helpful to ask whether a technology fills a need, and try to guess
at future adoption.

Jonathan