   Re: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?

Prakash, Prakash Yamuna, Yamuna wrote:
> Perhaps XQuery has not taken off because it was designed primarily as
> query language for an XML database? If we look back at the
> justifications for XQuery - optimization stands out as primary reason.
>
> Given such a pre-requisite it seems like XML databases have to take off
> before XQuery can.

Or at least databases that use XML. XQuery is being implemented by most
of the major relational database vendors, but these implementations are
not yet available. And it's being implemented by most of the XML
databases, but these are a smaller market.

> Of course whether XQuery turns out to be the winner or some variant of
> SQL is an open question.

Actually, H2 is actively working to add XQuery to SQL/XML, so the SQL
variant that will be part of the standard will include XQuery. Some
might consider that a measure of success.

Jonathan