   RE: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?

> The implementations are there, and
> they're mostly good, so now the question to ask is why aren't people
> using them in the numbers you were expecting?

That simply isn't true. There are a number of fairly complete (and good)
in-memory implementations, like Saxon, but that is definitely NOT the niche
that XQuery is targeting. It aims to be a query language for large
persistent XML databases, and there are no production-quality
implementations in that space yet. All the implementations of XQuery today
are either short on XQuery language functionality, or they are short on
general database functionality.

You also have to take into account that the pace of change in database
technology is far slower than in some other areas. Much slower than
programming languages, almost as slow as operating systems. Users are quite
rightly conservative - databases cost lots of money. In other words, I doubt
that most suppliers are expecting as rapid a take-up as you seem to imagine
they are.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/