   RE: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?

There were systems such as IADS that were widely deployed
in DoD systems that predate XML and already incorporated
many of its features (eg, DTDless, stylesheets) and some
of SGML (minimization enabled).  It's design did reflect
the designers' needs and the needs of the customers of the
day.  Many turned out to be general needs.

So, no, little adoption of XML before there was XML, but
some adoption of SGML-lite before there was such a thing,
and yes, driven by needs not standards.  In fact, the IADS
crew was kicked around at times and in certain circles for
refusing to become fully SGML conformant.

A good customer use case outranks a standard every time.
What has happened in the last ten years is that standards
developers have become more adept at determining use cases.

Umm... more are aware than ever before?

len

.. pruned the CC list for the usual economies

From: Jonathan Robie [mailto:jonathan.robie@datadirect.com]

Can you provide some examples of successful XML standards that gained
significant market share before the standard was released?

I rather suspect standards are more important in the modern XML world
than they were in the early C++ or SQL world. But beyond that, my memory
doesn't match yours for C++. In 1991, C++ conferences were rather
intimate affairs, but we had started to get to the point that you
actually could write code that worked on many platforms. We supported
lots of platforms with POET in 1991 - you needed conditional
compilation, but  mostly for operating-system dependent things. The
popularity of the language really picked up at that point. So I do think
that the ability to write portable code was very important for C++. I
wasn't an early SQL hacker, I can't say much about that history.

Jonathan