   RE: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?

  • To: "Ronald Bourret" <rpbourret@rpbourret.com>,"XML Developers List" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:05:14 -0800

People keep saying this as if it so trivial. Basically all you've described is what Crystal Reports does today but you've substituted SQL for with XQuery. However due to the fact that XQuery + XSD have a significantly different type system from your underlying relational or other data stores this causes for interesting impedence mismatch when performing queries.

Heck, the XML Web Services folks are choking on figuring out how to map XSD to variables in OO languages let alone how to map an entire query language with operator precedence rules, collation rules, sort order, etc from one to another.

Treat everything as a virtual XML document then query it with XQuery is one of those ideas that sounds good on paper until you actually start trying to implement it or use it.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
Eat right, Exercise, Die anyway.