   RE: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?

Hmm. What about XSLT (aka MSXSLT at the time).

Running and hiding :-)

Seriously, Tom's argument to some extend seems to be that sometimes
technology should be developed first in the market place and then be
standardized. I tend to agree with that if lower levels of
interoperability are accepted by the market place (e.g., SQL) or the
language is simple and small enough and can be easily evolved. (C, APL)

It does not work well if the format requires a high-level of interop
such as XML. The question is where XQuery fits in in that scale. Also,
programming language compilers are normally a much simpler component
with a larger audience than declarative query languages.

I personally (not an official Microsoft or XQuery WG position) think
that the initial work on XQuery at the W3C was good and necessary (we
needed alignment with XPath and XSD for example), but that the WG has
too high expectations/requirements on interop and should have left more
away and implementation-defined and get a spec released earlier with
less (e.g., do we need all the functions? Do we really need schema
context or implicit validation on construction (both now gone)? can the
static type system be allowed to be more implementation-defined?). But
hindsight vision is 20/20.

Note that larger vendors often refrain from implementing something that
is in flux. SOAP was different that there was some market agreement and
the spec was not going to change much. XQuery evolved for a while
dramatically, and even now, many companies may have internal
implementations but do not ship anything that they recommend users to
use in production.

My expectations are that once we and other larger companies ship XQuery
support for enabling new capabilities (for example XQuery to query XML
datatypes), you will see more adoption of the language. Also note that
as with many of the mentioned languages, adoption inside academia is on
the up-take. Thus more people will graduate knowing XQuery and thus be
less intimidated by FUD spread by the "purely relational" crowd.

Best regards
Michael