   Re: [xml-dev] A Systematic Approach to using Simple XML Vocabulariesto I

Dave Pawson wrote:

> Has anyone tried to express the validity or  'life' of information?
> E.g.
>  <Person id="RLC>
>     <Name>Roger L. Costello</Bag>
>     <HairColor validity="90d">red</HairColor>
>     <SSN>310-60-1234</SSN>
>  </Person>
>
> to cater for Toms very real case?
> the semantic could be, suspect this information after 90 days, given
> some reference publication date.

Only half-jokingly, this is what applications are for! I wouldn't
generally build staleness like the above into data as it narrows
potential usage, never mind questions like "90 days since when?".

What I have seen is that the data (ie an XML message) or the event (ie a
birth), or both, are timestamped and endpoints usually have enough
information to go on. Even then it gets complicated - I've seen
incidents arise due to the time lag between the time of an event and the
time the representation of that event hit the wire.

cheers
Bill