   Re: [xml-dev] A Systematic Approach to using Simple XML Vocabularies to

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:55:00 -0600, Peter Hunsberger
<peter.hunsberger@gmail.com> wrote:

> We're certainly aware of a very close coupling from what we have to
> and from RDF.  However, RDF isn't exactly something you can explain to
> a business analyst in 10 minutes and expect them to understand.

I don't know - "...you have a model built of resources (which
correspond to things) and relationships between those resources..."

> <addess>
>   <addr1 type="String"/>
>   <addr2 type="String/>
> they catch onto immeaditely.  Do they need to model in XML? No, they
> have no clue they are modelling in XML  Thtat's why:
>
>    <collection name="Address">
>        <object name="Addr1"/>
>
> works even better.  As I said previously, take the model and map it
> straight to XML,

You say "take the model" - how was that model arrived at? I would
suggest that some kind of entity-relationship analysis is useful in
the development of the vocabulary. Given that RDF offers an
entity-relationship model that has expression(s) in XML syntax, it has
the potential to be a time-saver.

> Maybe someday RDF will  do something special for us.

A large proportion of the practical applications I've seen haven't
involved RDF doing "something special", rather something very ordinary
in a consistent, Web-friendly fashion.

This developer story goes something like: "The data was too irregular
for a relational DB so we put it XML. Soon after we started having
problems because our data didn't fit into a hierarchical structure
very well either..."

(On your points re. syntax not mattering etc, agreed 100%)

Cheers,
Danny.

--

http://dannyayers.com