   Re: [xml-dev] XML and entropy, again

Michael Champion wrote:

>In Kurt's post, and I think in Shannon's theory, entropy measures the
>number of discrete states that a message could be in.  When talking
>about schemas, that's the number of valid instance *structures*
>(forget the text content) that are valid according to the schema.

I don't think "entropy" is the best term for that. Perhaps "cyclometric
complexity" [1] comes closer.

>"The measured entropy of your schema is on the order of 20,
>so you probably want to use XSLT" sounds *so* much more credible to
>the Pointy Haired Bosses of the world

Cyclometric is a pretty strong contender there, too!

.micah

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclometric_complexity

--
  Available for consulting. XForms, web forms, information overload.
  Micah Dubinko                           mailto:micah@dubinko.info