   RE: [xml-dev] More on taming SAX (was Re: [xml-dev] ANN: Amara XML Toolk

> So when the event stream reached /foo/bar2/baz2/text() you would have
> the following in a DOM like structure:
>
>    foo
>      \
>       bar1 (... no children)
>       bar2
>         \
>          baz1 (... no children, just the previous sibling and attrs)
>          baz2 (only the StartTag)
>
> I am not sure that the preceding siblings would be very
> useful and have
> more chances for pathological cases but when I construct
> mini-trees this
> is the subset I find handy.

This is exactly what I did in early versions of Saxon, in the pre-XSLT days
when it was an entirely serial event-based processor. It worked quite well -
but eventually I decided you couldn't mix this with XSLT processing in the
same framework, and scrapped it for that reason.

Michael Kay