   Re: [xml-dev] XPath and XPattern (was Re: [xml-dev] More on taming SAX)

For what it's worth, there's some documentation on
applicability/limitations/usage scenarios of a streaming path filter at
http://dsd.lbl.gov/nux/api/nux/xom/xquery/StreamingPathFilter.html

It's pretty much one of the simplest approach one could possibly take
but nonetheless quite useful.

It supports the child axis only, but hands fully built element subtrees
to an application defined callback handler, which makes writing even
complex handlers rather straightforward.

Wolfgang.