   Re: [xml-dev] performant templating language for XML

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:58:16 -1000, Joe Dane <joe.dane@gmail.com> wrote:

> however, I've got to say that your requirements don't seem to be so
> strict that you should be ruling out XSLT, even if you have to run the
> transform online.

The choice between JSP and XSLT comes down to whether the pages are
just dynamic, or dynamic and customized.

If they are dynamic *and* customized, and you're in a J2EE environment
anyway, you probably want to use JSP rather than XSLT -- JSPs compile
to Java code, so they can change content without requiring a reparse;
XSLT usually compiles to static HTML, so any change in content
requires a reparse.  If you're simply publishing news stories or
chapters of a technical manual, where every user sees the same thing
for (say) an hour before the content changes, then XSLT and a good
cache will be a great solution; if you're showing user account
information, shopping carts, the current weather in Tulsa, or anything
else that is the result of a real-time database query, then JSP
templates will give an significant performance advantage, since the
HTML from the XSLT will not usually be cacheable.

It's also an order of magnitude or so easier to find and hire people
with JSP skills than with XSLT skills, in case your company is worried
about your quitting or walking in front of a bus a year from now.  On
the other hand, as I mentioned before, XSLT is more portable if you
decide to change from a Java-based server to something else later on.

All the best,

David

--
http://www.megginson.com/