   Re: [xml-dev] What Suffixes to use and when?

For the most part, file extensions have resisted standardization.
Extensions like .xml, .htm(l), .xsd, .shtml, etc. are just unofficial
conventions that happen to be widely used. Operating systems and some
programs can be configured to treat a given extension in a special way,
like launch a particular program when a file is "opened", but extensions
have no intrinsic meaning.

SSI is no exception. As you can see from the tutorial
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/ssi.html), the extensions of files
that are scanned are entirely configurable. Pretty much every server
that supports SSI also supports the .shtml extension, but that's not
cast in stone.

Bob Foster
http://xmlbuddy.com/