   Re: [xml-dev] The Airplane Example (was Re: [xml-dev] Streaming XML

Which I think you've said quite eloquently at least two years ago
(including an interesting article on XML.com), and the fact that WXS types
aren't really a type system ala type theory is quite well known. So, the
question of the hour is then two-fold:

1) Are type systems needed really? Seems there quite a few people which
   think the answer is no, and I would say *sometimes*.

2) If it is needed,  what would a proper type system look like in XML?
    Note, *not* WXS datatypes, which as Amelia correctly observers, are not
    a type system. There seems to be little work on this, though Tennison's
    work on ISO DSDL seems quite interesting...i.e. not-so-subtle signal to
   stage left for an update on ISO DSDL types.

And to end with a spicy quote, "Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran
program contains an ad hoc informally-specified bug-ridden slow
implementation of half of Common Lisp." -- Philip Greenspun

But then I dislike endless hard-to-read parentheses as much as the next
person, which is why I like XML so much :)

                                     --harry