   Re: [xml-dev] SAXException, checked, buy why?

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 09:11 -0500, Karl Waclawek wrote:
> A SAX event handler can handle exceptions thrown by the calls it makes.
> Or it can let them escape. Depends on whether it wants to "notify"
> the event generator or not. How is that not possible in Java?

It sounds to me that the problem is that he does not want to have to
rewrite the ContentHandler to configure this behavior for each different
parse.  I don't think this is possible in Java, because exceptions are
based on compile-time declarations.

Perhaps you could look at my sample Python code for an example of what I
think he wants (which I think is only possible in such a straightforward
manner with a dynamic language).  In my example, changing the exception
handling behavior is a matter of different handler instantiation
parameters, rather than different handler code.

Then again, thinking about it, maybe this could be done in Java by
registering flags on the handler that are checked within the catch code
block in order to change behavior.  Not as straightforward, but it may
work.

Use CSS to display XML - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-x-xmlcss-i.html
Full XML Indexes with Gnosis - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/12/08/py-xml.html
Be humble, not imperial (in design) - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=10286