   Re: The Airplane Example vs XML 2.0 with data-typing

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 19:46 +1100, david.lyon@computergrid.net wrote:
> The fact is that in most medium sized enterprises, XML gets overlooked
> largely for the reason that it's data type support is sub-standard for
> any serious business use.

Do you have any evidence to back this "fact"?  Certainly it's not my
experience.  Enterprises didn't bounce the Web because it has "sub
standard data types support".  In my experience semi-structured data
sets are an unqualified business support, as demonstrated by how
hurriedly the RDBMS vendors rushed to build in BLOB support when the Web
started to explode.

> Then everything else is data elements. With its data-type encoded
> in the tag.
>
>  For example, <Information>
>                 Company_Name&="Global Tradedesk Technology"
>                 Registered?=True
>                 Employees#=4
>                 Date_Now@=20050105
>                 Amount_Requested$=2000000
>               </Information>
>
> The elements appear first, followed by the datatype, followed
> by the data itself.
>
> The legend is:
>
>  & = String type
>  ? = logical type
>  # = Numeric type
>  @ = DateTime type
>  $ = Currency type (or local equiv)

>From an XML design POV, I do hope this is some sort of joke.  If not,
I'm curious: would any other static typing advocates go for this sort of
thing?

> But everybody is having so much fun with XML 1.0 and 1.1 that
> we don't want to move on? do we?

Move on to the above?  You just go ahead and have fun.

Use CSS to display XML - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-x-xmlcss-i.html
Full XML Indexes with Gnosis - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/12/08/py-xml.html
Be humble, not imperial (in design) - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=10286
UBL 1.0 - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think28.html