   Re: [xml-dev] An unclear point with W3C XML 1.0 Specification

Hi Collin,

If you are talking about the traditional xml spec I may
not be the best person to explain it.

However what we do with our string literals is "properly"
escape them. That is, have a scheme to embed double quotations
and other noxious characters in a way that doesn't cause a
problem to the parser.

It happens all the time, especially with power tools. eg:

 <product_item>
   part_description&="3 1/2^" Spanner"
 </product_item>

What we do, is use the ^ character to escape. But there
may be other preferences.

So after reading out the value, what is returned is:

 3 1/2" Spanner

It's pretty simple but works without hiccups.

Best Regards

David
Sydney, Australia