   Re: [xml-dev] An unclear point with W3C XML 1.0 Specification

On Jan 5, 2005, at 8:15 PM, Collin Hsu wrote:

> external identifiers (SystemLiteral). ___Note that a SystemLiteral can
> be
> parsed without scanning for markup.___
>
> }}
>

> I wonder what the last sentence really wants to say.

Hmm... I wondered when that entered the spec.  I have on my hard disk a
file called xml.xml which is the original XML specification, from which
the HTML for the original XML 1.0 was generated (mind you, it's
migrated through a few laptops between 1996 and now); so I went and
looked in there, and yep, it's in there.

What it's saying is true, e.g.

<!DOCTYPE foo SYSTEM "http://example.com/x.xml?foo=1&bar=2";>
<foo/>

is well-formed.

But it certainly could have been expressed better.  Sigh. -Tim