   Re: [xml-dev] Where are XML types ?

Michael Kay wrote:
>>Where are XML types ?
>>People know xs:string, xs:int and xs:QName, because they are
>>taken from
>>raw data, but is there high level types for XML items such as
>>xml:element, xml:attribute, or xml:namespace ?
>>I have to name (with a QName) objects (that can be XML items)
>>as if they
>>were types.
>>I really really don't think that XPath2 offers a reasonable
>>solution with :
>>"5 instance of xs:integer"
>>". instance of element()"
>>the last one frightened me :(
>

> If you can come up with a better solution, please do.

Unfortunately, my application is not really ready to handle such types.
I can handle an xs:string, an xml:element, a my:purchase-order, but not
an element(*,my:purchase-order) ; in fact, when i handle a
my:purchase-order, i don't mind if it comes from an element or not ; in
my application, i don't use complex types (in the sense of W3C XML
Schema), i simply use objects that may have been unmarshalled from XML
or not

In this strange world, they all have a QName

> XML schema defines types for the *contents* of elements and attributes: when
> you say that a particular node is an integer, what you really mean is that
> the content of the node is an integer. This is probably the confusion that
> makes it difficult to get to grips with the XPath type system. There are
> actually two overlapping sets of types: the types of the nodes, and the
> types of the contents of the nodes. This is why XPath uses different
> notations for the two cases: element(), text(), comment() for the nodes, and
> xs:integer, my:purchase-order, and so on for their contents. Then it allows
> you to combine the two: element(*,my:purchase-order) is an element
> containing a purchase order, and attribute(*, xs:integer) is an attribute
> containing an integer.
>
> It takes a bit of getting used to, but it works.

fine ! thanks for your answer