len

From: Rich Salz [mailto:rsalz@datapower.com]

> The W3C XML Binary Characterization Working Group has the unenviable
> task of helping W3C decide whether we should be in the business of
> specifying some sort of efficient way to interchange XML that's
> different from gzip that HTTP can already use.

I think they (not really we, I don't do much:) are actually doing
much better then that.  There are three major documents:
	Use cases -- who would benefit from binary xml and why,
		and what restrictions they place on the format
		(e.g., must both sides know the schema?)
	Properties -- characteristics to consider for an encoding
		(e.g., can you sign it, do random-access, etc)
	Measurements -- how to apply the above two and get a weighted
		score

Anyone interested in the *concept* of binary XML should really take a look
at these documents.