   Large xml processing into SQL Server

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Large xml processing into SQL Server
  • From: <william.j.boxall@accenture.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:00:39 -0600

Hello, all.. I just joined this list and have a question that may have been answered by someone before, but here it is.

At work, we're working on a BEA Weblogic project (Java), and part of it is I wrote an interface that takes an xml file, processes it with a validation routine, and then stores it in a database.  I have found, though, that when they send me a large xml file, I can't handle it.  I get a transaction timeout, which is set by Weblogic, but that can be increased.  But then I run into out of memory issues.  I've done a lot of research, and the best solution appears to be to figure out a way to bulk load the xml document into SQL Server and then do my data manipulation.  For some reason, even when I trim down the operations so that all I'm doing is a straight insert into the database, it still takes way too long and times out.

I am not an xml guru at all, and am getting a bit of an education in the process of trying to find a workable solution.  Is there a bulk loader I can use?  If so, where and how do I use it?  Should I use an embedded xml database for processing?  If so, are there detailed instructions, and will that alleviate in any way storing the xml records into SQL Server?

I cannot load the entire xml file into memory, it's too big.  Is there some sort of streaming operation I can take advantage of?

One solution I was messing with was to take the schema and map it to the database fields through using sql:relation, etc.. But the problem there is the schema is built from the xml file, which is hierarchical in nature.  I need to flatten out the elements in the hierarchy in order to do the mapping to database fields.  I've searched all over the net for a way to do this, and have found some cryptic solutions using xslt, which I am totally unfamiliar with.  Again, any help with that would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Bill