   Re: [xml-dev] A bunch of components, but no mandated organization- reaso

Peter Hunsberger wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:03:56 +1100, Rick Marshall <rjm@zenucom.com> wrote:
>

>>Peter Hunsberger wrote:
>>

>>>On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:06:08 +1100, Rick Marshall <rjm@zenucom.com> wrote:
>>><snip/>
>>>

><snip/>
>

>>>Bad analogy Rick.  In Group theory groups are, by definition, a set of
>>>elements (possibly infinite) that is closed over some operator.
>>>

>>i think that's what i said - although perhaps i was looking at an
>>interesting aspect of this closure - you can't tell if an instance of an
>>element of the set exists in it's own right or as the result of applying
>>the operator. ie you can't uniquely decompose an element of a group.
>>

>>><snip/>
>>>

>Umm, ok, but I think you're stretching :-) The whole point of a group
>is that it doesn't matter; there's no such thing as decomposition per
>se, just elements and an operator, that's why group isomorphism is
>such a powerful tool.  (Closure just guarantees that if a . b is in
>the group then b . a is also in the group.)
>
>BTW, before people start to nitpick I realize that to completely
>define a group you also need associativity, an identity element and an
>inverse for every element....

yep, i agree. and yes i know all those things too.

decomposition fascinates me because we have 3000 years (at least) of
experience with it (back to the ancient greeks) and it pervades our
thinking.

rick
begin:vcard
fn:Rick  Marshall