   RE: Topic Maps?? Was RE: [xml-dev] XLink - anyone using?

IMO, if you want the sweet spot between the heavier
Semantic Web technologies and the weaker but ubiquitous
HTML technologies, Topic Maps is the best candidate.

Take a look at the Ontopia sites and their numerous
white papers.   There is some learning curve but
I saw a demo session at XML 2004 that was killer.

As for their applications in link bases, you may want
to look around although there are experts on this
list that can point you in the right direction. Keep
in mind that databases can do a lot of this stuff
without using topic maps.  I can create a link base
in MS Access using the hyperlink datatype which the
document will see as a URI, so as
pointed out elsewhere, with some cleverness, you
can use the existing technology to get the same
effects if you skip over the religious issues.

Read the Ontopia papers.

len

From: Nadia.Swaby@pwc.ca [mailto:Nadia.Swaby@pwc.ca]

Hrrmm...

I was just looking at the article "What is topic maps?"  on xml.com and
thinking that maybe it would be a better way to go.  There has been talk in
the past few days of creating some sort of link database.  The problem we
are hoping to solve is "What if a document gets obsoleted, superseded, or
removed.  How can we make sure all the documents that link to it don't link
to a dead end?"   Anyone have any opinions on topic maps?