   Re: [xml-dev] XPattern Specification

Alan Gutierrez wrote:

>    Refuse? I don't mean to come across as obstinate. I've been up
>    all night. Perhaps my tone is not what I would want it to be.

Don't take me wrong, this hasn't been intended as reproach :)

>    As far as handling content, I'm not thinking in terms of
>    fetching a nodes out of a tree, but in terms of capturing, and
>    responding to event with event handlers.
>
>    That's why I think there are two phases, defining the pattern
>    matching langauge, and then, as a second step, trying to come up
>    with a generic expression of capturing and replacing, or
>    inserting. The former is useful as on its own, for XML event
>    handling frameworks.

Perhaps, XPattern could be limited to the first step, as of now. We want
a common syntax for patterns to match against streams of events
representing XML documents. Once you have a match, you can replace,
insert, run templates, callbacks, whatever.

--
Petr Cimprich
Ginger Alliance