   Re: [xml-dev] What is a Compound Document?

> I am guessing that it is not a compound document.  True?

No I think that's false.

the problem with "compound documents" is not so much specifying a schema
for them (although there are some problems with that) so much as doing
something with them.

For example it's easy enough to have a schema that allows SVG XHTML
and MathML all in one file. But how do you actually render the beast. If
you have some kind of plug in architecture (as we do) that allows an
XHTML renderer to call out to SVG or MathML renderers,

Does that architecture allow XHTML inside MathML inside SVG (not
usually)

What happens if you try to cut and paste a region that starts inside SVG
and ends in MathML (nothing nice)

If you select a different font size or other characteristic at the top
level of your browser does this change percolate down to affect the
renderings of the "foreign" sections (sometimes, on a good day).

Given the current vogue for declaring a new mime type for each XML
vocabulary, what mime type do you use for a document that mixes half a
dozen such vocabularies, do you need a new mime type for each possible
combination (who knows).

I'm hoping the new WG (which I'm not on) will answer some of these
questions...

David

http://www.star.net.uk