   RE: [xml-dev] Well-formed BinXML

> I have been doing some work with a binary encoding of
> something akin to a serialisation of SAX events as
> generated from an XPath object model. I thought it might be
> an interesting exercise to try and quantify the performance
> penalty of applying well-formed constraints to this
> encoding.

One of the worst is the fact that attributes can use namespace prefixes that
haven't yet been declared. This means you need some kind of lookahead. You
also have to decide whether to optimize for the usual case (say 0-3
attributes) or for extreme cases (1000s of attributes).

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/