   Schema complexity paper - Was 3 XML Design Principles

Kurt,

    I wish I could say that I made it through your paper. At the
moment though, I'm hung up on the following section :

<quote>
Suppose that you have two spans S and S' such that for every
configuration s that exists with the span S, there is at least one
configuration s' in S' such that there exists a transformation T() on
s in which s' = T(s). The two spans could then be considered to be
congruent on T.
</quote>

    Suppose the definition of T() is that s' is the root element of s.
In that case, one can satisfy the condition where S and S' exist for
the specified T() and yet not have a congruence relation. This is
because the relationship is not symmetric. Am I misunderstanding
something here?

Thanks,
Kenneth