   RE: [xml-dev] Even if you're not ... was If you're going to the W 3C mee

In a strict sense, XML is inferior but for the same reasons
it is a compromise in all formats.  For the scene graphs,
it is very verbose, the graphics guys are used to wringing
every bit of performance a board can deliver, and the object
model isn't very much like a DOM, so even if the DOM works
in the editor, most object to it for real time.

Otherwise, it is a fragmented market with most of the action
in games where interoperability isn't a high priority, and
generalized network protocols for real time interaction aren't
that standard yet.  In other words, it's still early days for
this medium even with all the work that's been done, and it
is platform sensitive.

Yes, the forces of status quo are felt.  Each community is
has a different market model, some have a history, some
with each other, and so on and so on.  Yet more is happening
in that domain this year than last year, and XML is the
format of choice for the major contenders.  The action
is growing.

len

From: Kurt Cagle [mailto:kurt.cagle@gmail.com]

Len,

This does not surprise me in the least, sad to say. I've had a feeling
for several years that 3D would be the hardest nut to crack XML-wise
-- not because XML is inherently inferior for 3d work, but because
there was already such a strong invested interest group in maintaining
their status quo.

-- Kurt